Re: dhcp and debian install

On Wed, 2001-10-24 at 22:42, Timothy Ryder wrote:
> I am trying to install debian and am having a problem.  My cable modem
provider requires that I pass a computer name to them to use dhcp.  With
most other distros I would type /sbin/dhcpcd -h <computername>, but with
debian I can't.  How can i pass the computer name during  install to the
dhcp client.

Which dhcp client are you using dhcpcd or pump or dhcp-client?  The
first two can use the option hostname in your /etc/network/interfaces
file.  The following information from is from man interfaces:

The dhcp Method
       This method may be used to obtain an address via DHCP with
       any  of the tools: dhclient, pump (2.2.x kernels only), or
       dhcpcd. If you have a complicated DHCP  setup  you  should
       note  that  some of these clients use their own configura­
       tion files, rather than obtaining their configuration  via
       *ifup*.

              hostname hostname
                     Hostname to be requested (pump, dhcpcd)

I use dhcp-client and edited the config file by hand after reading up on
how to do it properly.

--mike