Re: Toshiba portege 7000CT

On Monday 08 October 2001 18:44, Oleksandr Moskalenko wrote:
> * rich (rich_walker@blueyonder.co.uk) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to get a udeful debian-testing setup on a Portege 7000CT.
> > However, I can't get XFree86-4.1.0 to behave with the LCD at all. Anyone
> > got any notes on this install?
> >
> > cheers, Rich.
>
>   Hi Rich,

thanks for the reply

>  You don't mention any specifics of your problem.

Whoops.
 X -configure ; X -xf86config XF86Config.new
doesn't work. Didn't check with external monitor. LCD doesn't work,
Specifically, garbage from the video-ram ends up on the screen.

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace doesn't restore the console. Ctrl-Alt-delete doesn't reset
it. I can still access it via slip and telnet.

X's output suggests it knows about the LCD, knows it's 800x600,  has found
the neomagic chipset, but it won't display anything useful. It won't pick a
valid 800x600 mode size, and I don't have one.

> Therefore, I suggest
> you try the http://www.linux-laptop.net/
>  I just went there and even though the 7000CT page was not accessible I
> got ya' an XF86Config from 7020CT page. I hope those are sufficiently
> similar to make its modelines work for you. You should dig some more on
> that site. Just find a videochipset and LCD that are same as yours.

The 7000CT page is for X 3.3.6. Adding the modeline and monitor details to
the XF86Config-4 file causes it to find a valid 800x600 mode, but the display
still doesn't kick in.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. Poking the 'net finds very little for the
7000CT, which is one of the reasons I asked.

thanks, Rich.