Re: Strange system-clock behaviour on Twinhead Powerslim600

On Wednesday 03 October 2001 11:54, Geoffrey Hausheer spewed forth:
 This is a PentiumII
> laptop, and the kernel is compiled with no APM support.  Please don't
> recomend ntpd, I've tried it, and it doesn't work well for this problem.
> Any ideas?
>
> my /etc/adjtime looks like:
> 0.000000 0 0.000000
> 0
> LOCAL
>
> Thanks,
> .Geoff

I don't know that apm is required in either case - I only use it for GMT
support.
use ntpdate for clients - run at boot and cron job it for every hour/minute -
this is sure to keep your clock reasonably accurate.

ntpdate/ntpd is not really supposed to run with adjtime - but your adjtime
file is wrong.  You can't have all zeros in it unless you have a perfect
clock.

adjtimex is intended for use on computers who have limited or no access to an
ntp server.  Because of that there is a slew rate that you are supposed to
have in the adjtime file.  Your slew rate is zero, meaning your clock is
perfect.

I would suggest reading up on the Clock MINI-HOWTO.  It's a good read for
explaining about adjtimex, ntpdate, ntpd.  It will also tell you about all
the ntp servers you can use with ntpdate.