Re: Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200

Alex Page wrote:
> I'm considering installing Debian on my Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200,
> as I only use it for SSHing to Linux servers anyway, and this means
> I can do more work away from the office. Before I take the plunge,
> however, I need some information.
>
> I've had a poke around, but have been unable to answer the
> following questions. Any help (URLs etc.) would be appreciated. I'm
> not a *nix newbie, but installing (especially on a laptop) is not
> something I'm particularly familiar with.

No exactly same model, but I have Satellite Pro 4220 at the moment
and got everything working. Irda and USB as well, although Irda needs
some tweaking in kernel.

http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS

Lucent chipset probably. Working fine here. http://www.linmodems.org

> 3) Sound drivers - the internal soundcard works well under Win98,
> and I'd rather like it to continue working under Debian...

Yamaha chipset probably, AFAIK there is driver in kernel also but I'm
using alsa.

> 4) Dual monitor support - under windoze, I have my mail client /
> ogg player on the laptop's LCD, and do the rest of my work on my
> monitor. How easy is this to replicate under Linux?

No idea about this.

regards,

--
Hasso Tepper