how are my pcmcia cards resuming?

hello, i'm running an ibm thinkpad 600x with apm compiled in and everything
works great... except...

whenever i resume the laptop from a suspend it brings up the pcmcia cards
(or tries if i'm not on a network connection).  this is usually the desirable
behaviour, but i'm connected to a network only 50% of the time, so i'd rather
bring the pcmcia cards up manually with cardctl and then take them down when
i'm done manually.  it's not a huge issue, but i'd like to save any power
that's being taken by the pcmcia cards when on the battery and not have pump
running all of the time (if pump can't bring up the net connection, it just
sits there in the background for some reason).

anyway, i can't for the life of me figure out what's calling 'cardctl resume'
on a resume.  my /etc/pcmcia/apm.opts file contains unset APM, so the
/etc/apm/resume.d/pcmcia script should be skipped... what else could be
responsible for this?  i have murasaki installed for usb and i notice that it
ensures 'ifup eth0' runs, but the logfiles point directly to cardmgr for
resuming the card (it's a xircom ethernet/modem combo card, the kind that
doesn't resume properly and must be ejected either physically or with cardctl
and then again inserted after a resume to work properly anyway, another reason
for me wanting to do it manually).  can pcmcia resuming be prevented on a
laptop resume?  does anyone know what is calling cardctl when i resume?

thanks for any responses...
nathanp.