VT Thing w/ External Mon

I just got a new monitor to use with my laptop.  the problem is that if
i startx, i can't get back to a VT.

Installation:   I just hooked up the monitor and turned the computer on.
The Console looked great. It worked with the xserver setup for my
laptop display.  I ran startx and it worked like a charm.

When the machine boots, everything is ok, the VT's look fine.  ...until
i start X.  Then when i hit ctrl+alt+F(1-6) the monitor turns off.
Hitting alt+F7 will bring me back to the X session.  If I log out of X,
the monitor turns off again, and I am forced to work blind, or start
X again.

I thought that maybe hitting ctrl+alt+F(1-6) was maybe directing the
video stream to the laptop display, but the laptop screen is still blank.

I was using kernel frame buffering, and thought that might be the culprit,
so i commented out the "vga=773" line in lilo.conf.  Same symptoms
occur though.

tech info:	graphics card:		S3 Savage MX/IX
		xserver:			svga LCD
		res:			1024x768@75mHz
		(this works on both monitors)

I'm sure there's a HOWTO i should read concerning the use of two different
monitors, especially a CRT and an LCD one ; i'll look for
that on the web,but if someone here knows a good place to shove me, great.