Re: help getting xfree86 4 working on an ATI Rage lt pro

> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to get X working using Xfree86
> version 4.0.3-4. I had it working successfully with
> version 3.3.6.
>
> I initially installed Debian on my notebook using a CD
> (release 2.2r2). After getting X working with
> enlightenment I upgraded my distribution to the
> "testing" variety. This is where everything came
> crashing down.
>
> When I run startx, the screen goes blank and then
> comes back with an error message - saying there are no
> valid screens.
>
> I used dexconf to create my XFree86-4 file.
>
> Can anyone please help. I've included my XFree86-4 and
> error log files.

And they're kinda long :)

The interesting portions are:
	XF86Config-4
	~~~~~~~~~~~~
	HorizSync       31-96
        VertRefresh     50-160

Does that really match your monitor?  If you are smart you still have
the XF86Config from your 3.3.6 setup.  Take a look at it and see if it
has something very different in there.

	Fragment of X output/error log
	~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> (II) ATI(0): Supported VESA Video Modes:
> (II) ATI(0): 720x400@70Hz
> (II) ATI(0): 720x400@88Hz
> (II) ATI(0): 640x480@60Hz
> (II) ATI(0): 640x480@67Hz
> (II) ATI(0): 640x480@72Hz
> (II) ATI(0): 640x480@75Hz
> (II) ATI(0): 800x600@56Hz
> (II) ATI(0): 800x600@60Hz
> (II) ATI(0): 800x600@72Hz
> (II) ATI(0): 800x600@75Hz
> (II) ATI(0): 832x624@75Hz
> (II) ATI(0): 1024x768@60Hz
> (II) ATI(0): 1024x768@70Hz
> (II) ATI(0): 1024x768@75Hz
> (II) ATI(0): 1280x1024@75Hz
> (II) ATI(0): 1152x870@75Hz
. . .
> (--) ATI(0): Reference clock 29.500 MHz.
> (II) ATI(0): Maximum clock: 200.00 MHz
. . .

and umpty gazillion of:
> ... Default mode ... deleted. (hsync out of range)

worst:
> (WW) ATI(0): Built-in mode "Native panel mode" deleted
> (hsync out of range)

ouchie!

> I have the following configuration:
> Computer: HP Omnibook 7100 P11-266 with 196MB ram.
> Video card: ATI Rage Lt Pro 4MB ram
> Monitor: Hitachi cm771 (capable of 1600x1200 @75Hz)

It is definitely auto-detecting the builtin as something smaller, because
it also deletes a bunch of modes based on them "exceeding panel dimensions".

> Debian/Kernel version: 2.2.18pre21

So, my advice:

(1) read your previous XF86Config and/or the laptop's manual, and
	*get that hsync and vrefresh right*!

(2) if you customizd modelines for yourself before, you'll need those same
	lines again.  They need to be added into the "Monitor" section.

To quote the Xfree86 docs:
   Specifying video modes is optional
   because the server now has a built-in list of VESA standard modes.
   When modes are specified explicitly in the Monitor section (with the
   Modes, ModeLine, or UseModes keywords), built-in modes with the same
   names are not included. Built-in modes with different names are,
   however, still implicitly included.

It's tossing out the standards as being out of range.  If your range is
correct, you need to replace some modelines.  (At least one.)  If your
range is wrong, you need to fix it.

Good luck

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...