Re: help getting xfree86 4 working on an ATI Rage lt pro

Thus spake Daryl Dusheiko (daryldush1@yahoo.com.au):

> <snip>
> When I run startx, the screen goes blank and then
> comes back with an error message - saying there are no
> valid screens.
>
> I used dexconf to create my XFree86-4 file.
>
> Can anyone please help. I've included my XFree86-4 and
> error log files.
>
> I have the following configuration:
> Computer: HP Omnibook 7100 P11-266 with 196MB ram.
> Video card: ATI Rage Lt Pro 4MB ram
> Monitor: Hitachi cm771 (capable of 1600x1200 @75Hz)
> Debian/Kernel version: 2.2.18pre21
> <snip>

(--) ATI(0): 1024x768 panel (ID 4) detected.
(--) ATI(0): Panel model LG LP141X2-A.
(--) ATI(0): Panel clock is 28.348 MHz.
(II) ATI(0): Using digital flat panel interface.

I just found out there is no man page for the ati Xf86 4 driver, but it
should be the same as in the r128(4) page. According to that, you should
just have to put:
Option "Display" "CRT"
In the Screen section of your XF86Config-4 file to stop it from using the
panel. (To use the panel, use "FP")

I'd recommend setting up another Monitor section your XF86Config-4 file
for the panel. This page has a modeline that should work, but notice his
warning about using the VESA framebuffer to fix the 'starting X on LCD'
problem:
http://klee.cs.depaul.edu/ajeffrey/omnibook.html
(from http://www.linux-laptop.net)

Hope that helps