Re: HARM 5600

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 12:37:00PM +0200, Rodolfo Giometti wrote:
> Hello,
> does someone know about the winmodem `HARM 5600' and Linux? I tried to find out
> something related but I found nothing interesting... I'd like buying a laptop
> but it has this winmodem and I'm not sure it's supported by Linux... can someone
> help me?

That'll be the HAMR5600... Good luck finding a working driver for it. There are binary
only drivers on the manufacturor's ftpsite (not website), but these are only for redhat
and 2.2 kernels (and one or 2 for 2.4.2). I've not gotten any of the to load on my system
which has the same winmodem. But i'm running 2.4.5-2.4.7 :) YMMV with 2.4.2 or 2.2.17/19

The best solution is just forget about the winmodem (or use it windows only) and buy a
second hand/used pcmcia/pccard modem. Everyone is dumping old cards for newer 56k cards
or combi cards :) I allready saw 28k modem cards for less then $20.

That $20 is not worth several hours of my time to try and get a winmodem working (which
eats massive amounts of cpu (under win98 anyway) when using it.

> P.S. I already tried to visit linmodems and linux-laptop sites...

The manufacturor of this winmodem is smartlink I think....
their website/ftp site is smlink.com.

--
Mark Janssen                         Unix Consultant @ SyConOS IT
E-mail: maniac@markjanssen.nl              GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178