Re: Re: help: installing from DOS partition

> > Hi there,
> > I'm new on this list and seeking for some help.
> >
> > I'm trying to install Debian on a Sony Vaio N505. I
have Sony CD-ROM
> > but not the original so it's not bootable, that's why I
created a DOS
> > partition and put these files:
> > - base2_2      15.331 Kb
> > - drivers          4.990 Kb
> > - install
> > - loadlin
> > - rescue.bin
> > - root.bin
> >
> > I also have a bootable floppy and when I get boot: I
try this :

> > linux root=\dev\hda3
> >
> > but get a bunch of lines and finally "VFS cannot open
root device
> > 00:00" "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
00:00". Thing is
> > I can't mount this DOS partition.
> >
> > I also tried:
> > \hda3
> > rescue root=\dev\hda3
> > and other combinations.
> >
> > It seems obvious that I'm using the wrong parameters.
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > /paula

Hi Paula, if you are installing from a DOS partition you do
not need to boot you system from the rescue disks.  Just
exit Windows, or boot into the command prompt, and type
install (install.bat) from your debian directory.  This
will load linux from DOS.  When asked where you want to
install the drivers and base files from you can select your
Windows partition (if you have copied the files there), or
better yet, you can select to install them from the debian
CD.

On your Windows partition, make a directory called debian,
debian\dosutils, and debian\images-1.44

copy linux (the kernel image), and install.bat to the
debian directory
copy loadlin.exe to the debian\dosutils directory
copy rescue.bin, and root.bin to debian\images-1.44

run the install.bat program from the debian directory

once debian is booted, install the drivers and base files
from your CD.

good luck