Re: Kernel configuration for IBM A20m and partition question

Amir Marrei wrote:
[...]
> Another question I have is concerning disk partitions and win98: Is it
> possible that a linux partition causes problems for win98?

Win?? can waste a Linux partition, if you use an extended one: Say you
have hda1 = C:, and hda2 = extended, containing several logical hda(n).
Some parts of win98 can believe that an extended partition *must*
contain a (v)fat D: ; if it is not the first, or if there is none, they
can try "repairing" hda5...
 A workaround is changing the type of hda2 from 05 to 85 (Linux
 extended), if you have no logical (v)fat partition.

> I haven't used this OS, but my wife complains about heavy disk
> activity on our tp600,

Heavy useless disk activity is a normal behaviour of this "OS" ;^)
(hit Ctl+Alt+Del to see which programs are running).

> which is dual boot, and heard from a collegue that the linux partition
> could be the cause (which seems strange to me, but....).
>
> Thanks for any help,

You can try changing also the type of primary ext2 partitions to some
exotic value, as Linux don't worry about, and see what happens?
(backup your MBR won't hurt).

HTH
--
Jacques L'helgoualc'h