Re: dpkg issues

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry, 2001-Jul-21 18:50 -0700:

> On 21-Jul-2001 Jeff Coppock wrote:
> >    Not specific to the laptop, but a problem nonetheless...
> >
> >    I'm running woody with a 2.4.6 kernel.  Installed off the
> >    internet and all went well.  Now, for some reason, when I try
> >    to install new software, it fetches okay and starts unpacking
> >    and then...
> >
> >    corrupted filesystem tarfile - corrupted package archive
> >
> >    or it unpacks and installs okay, but I get a Segmentation
> >    fault when I run it.
> >
> >    Any ideas?  This is killing me!
> >

> icky!  have you tried a different kernel?  Other choices are hardware in the
> machine.

   I think I've found my problem.  Not enough memory to go
   around.  This is an old machine with only 32MB of memory and
   watch top while running apt-get install I can see available
   memory drop to 1.2MB and then the error hit.  I'm upgrading to
   128MB (max for this system) and expect this to fix it.

   jc

--

Jeff Coppock		Nortel Networks
Systems Engineer	http://nortelnetworks.com