Re: Omnibook 800 feature fn-keys [Re: turning off (LCD+) backlight without suspending]

> > For HP800 (in the Windows for Workgroup :-) manual, page 13),
> > you have >  all the "magic" keys. Changing video output is
> > done by FN+PrintSc.
>
> Huh.  First time I hit it, it blanks for a moment and comes
> back.  Second time, my screen goes totally blank (I assume
> it's driving the signal out the external connector.)  So
> this should be using less power since it's not driving the
> LCD or the backlight, but driving external (even absent)
> devices can be a little bad for battery power too.  Would be
> nice to do it without sending the signal out, but this is a
> good trick.  Thanks Greg.

You miss the point, external monitors are expected to have their *own*
wall-power cord.  Therefore the laptop is not expected to give them
enough power to run their display.

Yes, a minimal amount of power will remain in use by the video card
itself, to send its own signals in the new direction.  But if your
backlight power cost is significant *at all* then using the external
mode will negate that cost;  whatever gain that's worth, you will get.

> >  FN+SPACE
> >  Switches the master volume off (mute) or on.
>
> Handy!  (But not as handy as a volume control on your
> headphones) ((you know what would really be cool- music
> headphones with mic that double as a phone headset- take a
> phone call and go back to music))

Yes, but very nice to "put it in silent mode" if you need to edit on
the train and you have a tendency to make vi beep a bit.

> >  FN+EQUAL (plus), FN+HYPHEN (minus) Increases the bus speed to normal
> >  or decreases the
> >  bus speed to half-speed. (Some parallel devices require the slower
> >  bus speed.)
>
> Are we talking cardbus?  Parallel adapters in the PCMCIA
> slots?  Or does this really mean that this affects the built-in
> parallel port?

It means if you have some random device attached to the builtin parallel,
which for its own putzy reasons can't take full speed parallel data, this
is the way you could improve that.

No affect on PCMCIA slot.  I'm not sure that model takes 32bit (cardbus)
cards, it might only take 16bit (pc card) cards.

> >  FN+On/Off If turn-on password protection is active,
> >  suspends (turns off) the OmniBook so the password is required at
> >  turn-on. FN+F1 ... F12 Starts the assigned application, which you can
> >  change.
>
> Any ideas how to capture this in Linux/X?  I tried setting
> up a shortcut with bbkeys (blackbox wm's keyboard app) but
> hitting Fn-F1 just switches me to console 1.

In order to do any macro-ing on the Fn key you would need to know what
keycode it generates.  When "windows keys" were new they were the same
problem, and people had to hunt up (via showkeys or otherwise) that they
weree scancode 106. (or is that the menu key.  I forget.)

showkeys is a console utility.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...