Re: turning off (LCD+) backlight without suspending

 Hi,

>> It's intended
>> purely for switching on these Toshiba-specific keyboard functions (it's
>> also used to switch on the numberpad overlay over the uio-jkl-etc keys).
>> Alt-F1, Alt-F2 switches between consoles (the "F1", F2"... keys
>> themselves are labelled as such).

>I think that was the intent here too but apparently they didn't
>implement at BIOS level.  So I have to find a linux-level
>solution.

 The good point with HP is the avaibility of the manuals in PDF on Web.
 For HP800 (in the Windows for Workgroup :-) manual, page 13), you have
 all the "magic" keys. Changing video output is done by FN+PrintSc.

 Gregory Mounie

PS: I just try with Xfree 4.0.3. You need also to change resolution
(Ctrl-Alt-+/-) to get again a non flickering screen at 800x600.

PPS: this is the list of the all the keys

FN Combination Action

 FN+ESC
 Displays or hides the Status Panel.

 FN+HOME, END, PgUp, PgDn
 Moves the Status Panel to another corner.

 FN+UP ARROW, FN+DOWN ARROW
 Increases and decreases the master volume temporarily.

 FN+SPACE
 Switches the master volume off (mute) or on.

 FN+LEFT ARROW, FN+RIGHT
 ARROW Adjusts the beeper mix/volume temporarily.

 FN+TAB Moves a
 VGA-sized image to the center or to the upper left of thedisplay, or
 expands it to full size.

 FN+PrtSc Selects an external display, both displays simultaneously,
 or the OmniBook display.

 FN+EQUAL (plus), FN+HYPHEN (minus) Increases the bus speed to normal
 or decreases the
 bus speed to half-speed. (Some parallel devices require the slower
 bus speed.)

 FN+On/Off If turn-on password protection is active,
 suspends (turns off) the OmniBook so the password is required at
 turn-on. FN+F1 ... F12 Starts the assigned application, which you can
 change.