Thin-X-Client-Laptop

Hi folks - thanks for all of your hints regarding my problem.
I think I am close to the solution - maybe you can help me again?

	>I want to run X-Applications on my (old) laptop (486; Debian 2.0) while
	>connected (via PLIP) to the Server (Pentium, Suse 7.1).

Some data of my configuration:
* laptop name: boneless
* PC name: freeze
* username on PC: nutzer

What I tried (and many variations of that):
* start on the laptop (in text mode) "ssh -l nutzer freeze",
than change to root with "su" and "cd /root"
* in this ssh-channel I tried "export DISPLAY=boneless:0",
than "xhost +boneless"
* than I got the message "unable to open display "boneless:0"" (?)
* starting "X" in this ssh-channel starts X on the PC

My questions:
* Do I need a ssh-login via xterm (I did not install a window mgr resp.
xterm on my laptop (moving x-cursor on the laptop only))?
* What causes the display-export-error?
Could it be because the Xserver-configuration of the PC does not
fit to the hardware of the laptop?

As thera are many similar questions on this list now I tried a lot hints
(maybe to many) - as newbie I am a little bit confused (most hints are
too professional for me).

1k-thanks in advance
Dieter