Re: turning off (LCD+) backlight without suspending

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 06:32:50PM -0700, Tony Godshall wrote:
> Anyone know if there's a tool to turn off the backlight or
> the video subsystem without turning putting the whole laptop.
> I like to start some mp3's playing and then shut the case.
> I'd like the battery to last as long as possible in this
> mode and not get so warm in my backpack (biking home from
> the office or walking through an airport).
>
> ((The computer in question is an HP Omnibook 800 with P166,
> 48M RAM and a 20G hard drive running debian (woody/frozen)
> and kernel 2.4.6 and XFree86 4.0.3.  Thank godness it
> doesn't have a case-close suspend feature or I couldn't do
> this at all))

I've got a Toshiba laptop, not a HP, but it has various BIOS settings
you can choose between for setting those kinds of things.  For
instance, you can choose whether closing the case powers down or not
(I suspect it's set to turn off the display automatically if you told
it to not power down).  Have you checked whether your BIOS gives you
options like that?

Toshiba also lets you press Fn-F5 to toggle between LCD display,
cathode tube display (it has a video-out port) or both.  I could use
this to set to cathode tube display only, effectively switching off
the LCD screen.  Does your HP have that sort of capability?

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A