Re: PCMCIA manager stops sytem

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 09:34:28AM +0200, vamps@gmx.net wrote:
> Hi!
> First off all, I am new on this mailing list, so please be patient.
>
> Now I try to install Debian Potato (I know its not the newes one) on my
> Laptop (IPC ,Powernote, AMD K6-2, 500Mhz, 4 GB) .
> I ran the installation programm with success. I even configured and
> installed lilo so i can choose to run win98 too.
> But when it comes to the "smoke test" (first startup of linux after base
> installation) when the pcmcia module is loaded (I guess) that is in line:
> "starting PCMCIA services: modules "
> right there the system stops.
> If I now switch off the Laptop and start again I got a 50% change that the
> Linux will start.
> Does anyone have a idea?
> I don't need the pcmcia support for installation. I install form cdrom. But
> afterwards I use a 10Mbit PCMCIA - ethernet card to access the web.

I have had trouble with lockups when removing a network
card: it seems to be a known issue (I think it's mentioned
in the PCMCIA HOWTO).  I especially had trouble at
suspend/resume.  Now I shut down pcmcia and eject the slots
before I suspend (I use a script to do "cardctl eject 0" and
"/etc/init.d pcmcia stop" and then run it via an entry in
/etc/menu (debian-specific I think)).  My script also stops
other network-oriented services like ntp to extend battery
life (by saving memory and disk access and cpu idle-time).
Of course you'd also use a script to reverse it when you plug
back in.

In other words, I have no idea what the problem is or how to
fix it, but I have a rolled myself a simple solution that works
around it and has some other benefits too.

--
Tony