Re: pcmcia nics

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:52, Dan Cox wrote:
> Any recommendations on a pcmcia nic?

PCMCIA is officially obsolete.  The two new names are "PC Card" and "Card
Bus".  PC Card can only handle about 1.5MB/s, so it's a waste of money to get
a PC Card 100baseT card as it won't be much faster than a 10baseT card!  Also
PC Card takes heaps of CPU time, so a fast Ethernet card transferring 1.5MB/s
of data will make your machine unbearably slow.

Card Bus is faster and takes less CPU power, so you can transfer >8MB/s thus
making 100baseT cards worth-while.

In terms of brands of cards, every card I have tried has worked, but it makes
sense to take your laptop to the store to test out a card before buying it.

When comparing cards, any card that is not NE-2000 compatible should be equal
to any other (NE-2000 means slow).

I like the Xircom RealPort cards as they are physically stronger and unlikely
to break.  Apart from Xircom (which are expensive) I suggest getting the
cheapest non-NE2000 card available.

For a PC Card device I suggest buying a second hand 10baseT card, more people
want to sell than want to buy such cards and they are really cheap.
Otherwise get a Card Bus 100baseT card.