Installation problems

I have an Asus A1000 series notebook so equipped:

- PIII 700 MHz
- 64 MB RAM
- 10GB HD
- Ethernet & modem PCMCIA
- Windows ME preinstalled.

I tried to install potato and I did the following steps:

1. I defragmented my HD
2. Launched the installation CD1
3. Created a 1,1 GB Linux native partition on /dev/hda2 and a Linux swap partition on /dev/hda3
4. Created a bootable floppy (no boot from HD)

At the end of the installation process I correctly got the login prompt and everything seemed to be ok. But booting from the diskette was not ok and I got the message:
"kfree: bad obj c345c298".
I tried to reinstall with the same result. I am a Linux novice and I don't know how to solve the problem.

Can anyone give some some hints?

Thank you very much.

Toni