Re: Sony Vaio FX215

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 08:00:32PM -0400, Ryan M. Golbeck wrote:

[snip]>

> But has anyone have any experience installing on a Sony Vaio FX215?
> I'm looking into getting a laptop and this one is looking pretty nice, but
> getting Debian installed and working is a requirement.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Ryan Golbeck <rmgolbeck@uwaterloo.ca>
> Computer Science
> University Of Waterloo

hi ryan,

i've no memorable experience with the fx215,
but my sony vaio pcg-c1xs (picturebook) is
great, _except_ for sound, because sony likes
irq sharing.

specifically, sony's laptop vaio computers are
built for the usb controller, the bus controller, and
the sound controller to share irq 9.  this causes big
problems for sound.  (so basically, i have a $2.3k
word processor.  but, i haven't given up hope, yet.
sooner or later, i know someone will find a way to get
around the problem, or maybe future kernels will
be able to handle it.)  btw, the various vaio models
i've seen at the local comp usa validated my irq-
sharing finding, as well.  (i also have non-sony, "clone"
laptops that don't share the irq for sound, and they have
no problems.)

so, if "sound" is an issue for you, and it certainly is
for me, you may want to get further opinions about that
unit before investing in sony.  (<rant>  i don't mind
the propriatary "lockdown" of its products, and paying
extra for the brandname "cachet," as long as its
"philosophy" isn't strictly limited to making products
that are only built for "running" micros~ apps. </rant>)

good luck.

bentley taylor.

//