Re: Wireless Networking

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Heather wrote:

> However, my best *guess* would be that if you have a cablemodem gadget
> that speaks standard ether, and a wireless hub that speaks standard
> ether in one port, that you could hook them together fairly easily:
>  )
> spooky }---------[ cable modem with NAT ]-+--desktop(s)
> internet )                                |
>   o (__) clouds                           +--[wireless hub] <- - -> laptop
>                                           :
>                                           :.. more?

Depends on the cablemodem. The cablemodem I have here only really wants to
talk to one machine [or at least that's what the cable company want],
and doesn't do NAT, so what I get is this:

       mine, but cf'd by the cableco
                         |           mine
                         |            |                 .-machine
                         V            V                /
(fuzzy blue anomaly)---[c'modem]----[firewall]----*hub*--machine
                                   |                   \
                                   |                    `-laptop
                                   `- big scary outside
                                      world starts here

The c'modem hands out a dhcp lease to the firewall, which handles
forwarding of traffic to and fro. Depending on how the cableco
set up the c'modem, if you just plug everything into a hub, your machines
might end up fighting one another for the same dhcp lease.

Plus they'll all be exposed to the fuzzy blue anomaly, which can't be
good. If the wireless hub talks standard ethernet, though, you can
probably plug it into your network the same way you'd add another machine.

--
Sleep, where is thy sting,
Bed, where is thy victory...