Re: Missing X - Window Manager?

> I'm trying to install the latest and greatest (testing) version of
> X.
> I have it configured...  Sort of.
> X -configure creates a file that seems OK.
> I created a file: ~/.xsession to point me to the gnome-session
> window Manager.
>
> And nothing happens.  I have sawfish installed, but there is
> nothing on the screen but the teeny black & white dots from X
> Window.
>
> Suggestions?

Yeah.  Gnome-session isn't a window manager.  It's a session manager -
its nearest competitor is xsession.  Session managers act as parent for
several tasks you would want to start up at once, and to memorize what you
have going on when you close up X.

One of the memorized apps it could reload probably *ought* to be a window
manager.  Window managers paint little window thingies like titles, scroll
bars, and are in charge of handling resizing and window placement.

Try running sawfish out of your .xsession instead of gnome-session - you'll
probably find that you get something.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...