LCD Modelines needed

Hi.

I've a Dell Latitude C800 machine running here with a resolution
of 1400x1050 pixels on its display.
Now there are some special cases where I want a lower resolution,
but I can't find propper modelines for i.e. 640x480 or 1024x768 since
the panel is somewhat sensible about frequencies.
It is an "IBM ITSX95" and should play good with 60Hz. I used the
"modeline" utility to generate some lower ones at 60Hz, but no success.
The screen turns black till you press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.

Any Ideas?

Ah. Yes. Something completely different:
I posted a question about APM problems with suspend/resume some time ago,
and got a hint for my kernel configuration. I tried exactly this combination and
any other possible, but after every suspend, I only get a black screen :-(
Gave up on this for now...

Greetings,
-Cajus