Mouse Problems, updated

OK...  I think I figured out what was making my mouse so screwy, but I still
have all kinds of problems.

Problem overview:

I have a Compaq LTE5300 laptop on which I installed Debian 2.2r3. I
installed about 750MB or so of software, including XFree86, KDE 2.1, GNOME,
and others. It was a pretty standard install, using apt-get via http. My
mouse (a PS/2 pin-type pointing device) worked fine in console, using gpm,
but never worked in X. It would move, but so fast I could not see it, and
when I left it alone, would show up in the extreme left-hand corner of the
screen. I did a test where I killed the gpm server and ran XF86Setup, where
after I configured the mouse, it actually worked in XF86Setup. However, When
I typed in "startx" in console after the test (did not reboot), the system
booted into X, then GNOME, and the mouse worked not at all...  just a arrow
in the middle of my screen. When I first start the machine, KDE starts, not
GNOME...  I just tab my way to "Shutdown/Console Mode" to get to Runlevel 3
(the console) so I can actually do anything. I am at a loss at this point. I
read through every HOWTO, Mini-HOWTO, man page, and book I have, all to no
avail. I am afraid the my choices are one of two at this point:

1) uninstall X, gpm, KDE, GNOME and re-install just X, and KDE (I hate
GNOME, I don't know how it got installed)
2) wipe out the entire Debian installation and start over from scratch,
installing each package at a time

I admit, while I am an expert in DOS/Win systems, as well as Amigas, I have
little Linux/UNIX experience, and no Debian experience. I installed this
system to learn from. I did have a Caldera 2.3 box for a few months about a
year or so ago, but needed it immediately for another purpose, and had to
wipe Caldera off of it.

Can I remove some or all of this stuff with apt-get (just like this:
"apt-get remove (or uninstall) gpm)? I admit that the apt-get menu is very
daunting to me, as there is very little help with it. I cannot even tell how
to move back to the main screen after selecting something in a lower screen.

I could really use some detailed help here. I am not stupid, and I learn
fast, but for some reason this is just starting to get the best of me...

I appreciate all of your efforts, and thank you.

MBN