Re: installing on laptop

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 03:43:33PM +0200, stefanocanepa@iol.it wrote:
> > I did this myself.  You might as well take the opportunity
> > to upgrade the hard drive too tho.  20GB notebook drives are
> > down to < $120 (per http://www.pricewatch.com/1/101/3329-1.htm).
> > Plus add a bill or two for the adapter cable.  I got mine from
> > west-tech.com, installed it with an old P133 box that had been
> > in the closet, and then put it in the laptop, which booted it
> > just fine.  Had to use IBM's OnTrack diskette to do the
> > partioning... it loads a BIOS extension at boot that handles
> > the large partitions properly till lilo takes over.
>
> I thinking to update my ThinkPad, what do you mean with cable? I found
> only Kingstone update has a PCMCIA-to-IDE but it cost to much.
>
> Stefano

I meant to adapt ath 2.5" IDE to the desktop machine which
presumably would have a traditional IDE header.  2.5" hard
drive headers are on a smaller pitch and have more pins.  In
addition 2.5" hard drives get their power from the ribbon
cable.

A search for "2.5 3.5 adapter" at pricewatch.com turned up
two adapter cable kits for < $10 and two more expensive
ones.  I got mine as part of an iopener-hacking kit
(yeah, I know, off-topic).

Luck,
--
Tony