Re: installing on laptop

> > I did this myself.  You might as well take the opportunity
> > to upgrade the hard drive too tho.  20GB notebook drives are
> > down to < $120 (per http://www.pricewatch.com/1/101/3329-1.htm).
> > Plus add a bill or two for the adapter cable.  I got mine from
> > west-tech.com, installed it with an old P133 box that had been
> > in the closet, and then put it in the laptop, which booted it
> > just fine.  Had to use IBM's OnTrack diskette to do the
> > partioning... it loads a BIOS extension at boot that handles
> > the large partitions properly till lilo takes over.
>
> I thinking to update my ThinkPad, what do you mean with cable? I found
> only Kingstone update has a PCMCIA-to-IDE but it cost to much.
>
> Stefano

Carry Computers in Fremont had a gadget that could do it.  The one I have
from them is a cord, and a little plastic case with a special-connector on
it.  The cord is PCMCIA-to-special and drives work in the little case whether
or not you put the little cover lid back on.
Nowadays they seem to have a firewire connector for one... and what I have
isn't listed on their pages, but I'd advise that you call and ask, because
they might have it anyway.  Or USB - that'd be fine too.
	http://www.carry.com.tw/

I found them because I wanted to chase down who made a previous PCMCIA/IDE
cord I had.  The previous one called itself "greystone" and was -waaaaaay-
handy, because it was just card and a little strand of cord.  No muss, no
fuss, fold over double and stuff in a pocket or even a wallet.  I keep
thinking someday I will find it under something.  Oh well.  I never found
the manufacturer - but someone referred me to Carry.

For some size drives I needed to improve the amount of time before PCMCIA
decides to reset (thinking there must be nothing there).  Ever since I did
that, it mounted every drive I've tried.

What I'm still looking for, is an adapter that makes "large/normal" HD
IDE connect to its little laptop-IDE connector, because then I could
perform the swap-into-another-machine trick on behalf of folks who do
not have another machine... but have a desktop.  That'd be mucho handy
for installfests.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...