Re: Mouse Problems

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, M. T. Burek, Ph.D. wrote:

> It is supposed to be a Logitech PS/2 compatible mouse, and I have a copy of
> another persons' XF86Config file, and I put the options in the same way they
> had it; PS/2, emu 3 buttons, /dev/mouse.

1) Is /dev/mouse a link to /dev/psaux? If it's a link to a serial port
   instead, this could cause the problems you're seeing.
2) If it is a psaux link, are you running gpm to get mouse support on the
   console?
3) If so, are you aware that only one 'thing' at a time can have
   /dev/psaux (usefully) open?
4) If this is indeed your problem, (ie gpm and X fighting over /dev/psaux)
   Then you can either

   a) disable gpm, if you don't care about mouse-in-console
   b) use gpm as a repeater (with the -R option),
      set X to use /dev/gpmdata, with whatever you've set the gpm
      repeater protocol to.

For example: On my desktop box, in /etc/gpm.conf:

device=/dev/psaux
type=ps2
append="-3 -R"
repeat_type=" "

And in my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "ps2-mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"
        Option          "Protocol"              "MouseSystems"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
EndSection

And in my /etc/X11/XF86Config (for Xfree86 v3):

Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "MouseSystems"
   Device          "/dev/gpmdata"
   Buttons         3
EndSection

HTH

--
"He was too young to be taken from us."
             'You were the one who cut him in half with a chainsaw, dude.'