speeding up DVD on I8000

Hi Guys,

I've started moving my music onto my computer so I can travel and not
have to carry all my CDs with me all the time and I'm kinda dissapointed
with the ripping speed of my DVD drive. It hardly ever goes more than 3x
(using GRIP and CDParanoia). Anyone knows how I can speed this up?

I tried doing the same I did for my primary hard drive (hdparm -d 1
/dev/hdb) and while that sped it up a bit (psychologically perhaps?) it
still doesn't go as fast as what I would expect a 8X DVD to rip a CD...

Thanks for any input!
Yannick