Re: hdd defrag

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 08:28:03PM -0700, idalton@ferret.phonewave.net wrote:
>
> Maybe it would be safer to just copy everything to another drive and use that?

    The stock answer for any Unix like partition (and probably any OS)
    is to backup using something that understands files, recreate the file
    system and reload. When the files are reloaded from tape or whatever,
    they will remain as unfragmented as the OS and FS drivers allow.

> hmm, I need to repartition anyway, my 17GB root partition is too big...

    And you will automatically defrag if you backup/restore or copy.

    Does anyone know any reasons why this may no longer be a good idea?
    I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned.