Re: boot stall

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 01:32:20PM -0700, Eric Allen wrote:
> greetings
>  ive just finnished my first debian install every thing was default
> except i added the eepro100 netcard. on first reboot with
> floppy it stalls at inetd. any suggestions?
>
> hardware is a dell inspiron 8000.i cant seem to find much relating to
> this and i am new enough to completely miss the obvious :>)
> thanx in advance.
> eric-

I did a recent reinstall and had a problem like that.  I thought it might
have been because I had the latest (2.2r2) boot floppies but the original
(2.2r0) CDs.  I found the solution was to play with /etc/inet.conf (check
the comments at the top, the one you have is probably for install, while
another one, renamed, is the "proper" one.  But the problem with just
reinstating the proper inet.conf is that you lose an installation step,
choosing which packages to install.  Although that's not much of a problem
since you can install your packages yourself anyway with apt-get or dselect.

Checking your boot floppy version matches your CD version is probably a good
idea.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A