Re: Integrated Mini-PCI ethnet/modem combo for Dell

Hi,

I just send this mail from my Dell Inspiron 8000 with MiniPCI
Ethernet/Modem combi card. Thus, it can work!
But please note, that there are two different such combi cards
shipped by Dell: One is from 3com and indeed does not allow the
modem to work under Linux (but the Ethernet part most probably
works); the other is from Actiontec and includes a Lucent WinModem
which works perfectly under Linux.  You can easily check which type
you have by typing 'lspci -v | less' as root (lspci is in the Debian
package pciutils).
I today installed the drivers for ethernet and winmodem and had no
problems at all. You just have to download the ltmodem-5.78e driver
from http://walbran.org/sean/linux/stodolsk/. The complete
installation is very well explained in the Readme.

Best luck,
Guenter

P.S.: IMHO the Dell Inspiron is one of the most Linux friendly
laptops currently available. I got everything working now, incl.
VESA framebuffer for console (plus SVGAlib working with it!), XFree
4.0.2, APM, USB, IRDA, Firewire, internal cd-burner with SCSI emulation,
kernel 2.4.2 with ReiserFS, sound, microphone, etc etc. SWEEEET!
My last problem was a kernel panic during booting when I use a kernel
with pcmcia support. However, this can be fixed with compiling a new
version of pcmcia-cs with "Include PnP BIOS resource checking = y".

--
Linux: Who needs GATES in a world without fences?