Re: HELP - Thinkpad380ED XF86config

On Monday 19 February 2001 17:20, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 10:24:06PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> > I compiled a kernel with VESA frame-buffer support and put "vga=788" in
> > /etc/lilo.conf
>
> In my experience vga=788 works for Mandrake/RedHat, but not Debian.  I use
> vga=0x314 for 800x600x16bpp with Debian.

The following is from /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt:
1. Note: LILO cannot handle hex, for booting directly with
         "vga=mode-number" you have to transform the numbers to decimal.
2. Note: Some newer versions of LILO appear to work with those hex values,
         if you set the 0x in front of the numbers.

AFAIK there has not been a time when Debian didn't work with vga=788, I have
been doing things that way for quite a long time.

Using decimal might be best for compatibility.  But it is more conveniant to
just copy the hex numbers from the documentation without converting them.