Network problems

I'm having a couple of problems with networking, both dialup and LAN.

First: Network adapter is Xircom CBE 10/100 + 56K modem - no problems
with that except that when APM shuts down the computer, it shuts off
the pcmcia card, and the only way I can figure out to get it started
is a remoot - less than ideal.

Second, following the advice of one of the books I was reading, I installed
"dummy" network adapter module when building the system - now it is the
default, and I can't get rid of it. How do I get eth0 initialized properly
when I start up the computer?

Last, I can't figure out all of the dialup options - wvdial, diald, etc.
I have been able do dial my ISP with wvdial and gotten connected & received
an IP address, but the connection was not useable - no DNS info, or what,
I don't know.

I don't mind doing the reading if someone can point me in the right direction
for these issues...

Michael

To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com