thinkpad T20: no sound after suspend

Hi all

I have been setting up a new laptop, a ThinkPad T20.  So far so
good...except that after a suspend, sound doesn't work and the
applications that want to use sound seem to hang for about 30 seconds
before doing anything.

Basic setup:  kernel 2.2.17 with APM, ALSA for sound, apmd running,
gnome with sound turned on.

I've tried this both with and without AC power.  I have tried restarting
the ALSA--this doesn't work as if complains that some applications are
using sound--notably the gnome panel and mixer applet.  If I do a
force-restart for alsa it gets rid of the applet...but still no sound.

Any ideas?  Is there some thing I need to change in /etc/apmd/ ?

TIA

Richard

begin:vcard
n:Black;Richard
tel;home:416-971-4159
tel;work:416-217-4350
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:www.algorithmics.com
org:Algorithmcs Inc.
adr:;;185 Spadina Avenue;Toronto;Ontario;M5T 2C6;Canada
version:2.1
email;internet:rblack@algorithmcis.com
title:Financial Engineer
fn:Richard Black