Re: internal LCD, external CRT, and other questions

Andre Berger <uzscd5@uni-bonn.de> writes:

> My brother is tired of his DSTN laptop screen (xserver-s3, 1 or 2?  MB
> VRAM) and would like to add an external monitor @ >75hz. The BIOS can
> be set to LCD only, CRT only, both. If he uses "both" and just
> plugs the CRT on, he only gets 60hz on the CRT if the LCD is also
> running. Is it possible to "separate" the two displays and operate
> them at different resoultions simultaneously?

AFAIK, no.  I think that to do that, you would need two video cards.

> Second, he's got only one PS/2 port but wants to operate both an
> external mouse (PS/2) and an old external keyboard (the old bigger
> port style with a PS/2 adaptor) on it. Would a PS/2-Y-adaptor work in
> this scenario?

Depends what kind of laptop he has.  If it's a ThinkPad, it should work.  I
think Toshiba and Sony laptops also work with the Y-adaptor.  I don't think the
AT->PS/2 adaptor would make a difference.

HTH
Hubert