compaq 1700 pci ethernet

My friend has a compaq presario 1700 with a bultin ehternet card on the pci
bus.  It may or may not be combined with a modem on the same card.  We
cannot get the network card to work (potato install, kernel 2.2.17).

Looking around at the kharker laptop site at various other compaq presarios,
I think the card should work with either the tulip, eexpress100
(EtherExpressPro/100).

/proc/pci says the vendor and model are unknown.  It says irq is 9 and io
port is 0x1400 [0x1401].  This sounds a bit high.  Am I reading /proc/pci
correctly?

I can't seem to specify irq or io port to the above modules, and neither of
them work.

The laptop is a custom ordred thing so it may not have the same hardware as
other compaq 1700's.  Any ideas though?

Thanks.

--
Pat Mahoney	<patmahoney@gmx.net>

If puns were deli meat, this would be the wurst.