Re: laptop experiences...

> am stuck between an ibm thinkpad and a toshiba satelite (pro).
> The first due to their publicised linux support and the 2nd
> cos it seems to be well recommended by friends. Both of them

I bought a used Dell, but what I did was make sure it had plug in hard
drives so I can experiment without losing what I've already got working.
I've got three drive caddies, each with 4 gigs.  One with win95 that came
with the machine, one with Debian (can't hibernate so far), and the other
is open for future experiments (tried FreeBSD and Win98 in the past so
far, Debian is my current most used drive).  I use this machine as a web
programming development platform.

I don't think a manufacturer really gives linux support unless they sell
the product with it already loaded - I might be wrong, I've never tried. I
do think you are right to stick with major popular brands.

brew