Re: laptop experiences...

On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 02:38:44PM +1100, CaT wrote:
> Hey folks. I'm thinking of getting one of them laptop thingies
> and running debian on it. After a wee bit of looking about I
> am stuck between an ibm thinkpad and a toshiba satelite (pro).
> The first due to their publicised linux support and the 2nd
> cos it seems to be well recommended by friends. Both of them
> have prettymucht he features I want.

I recommend the Thinkpad.  I have an older model (760el), pretty happy with
it.  I have heard bad things about Toshiba and linux support, especially
with respect to the Ir port.

I have not been able to get 800x600 console mode though :(  It is slow
enough to make running X undesireable.  Although X does run.

> So... my quesiton is, how well are they supported under
> debian/linux? Is ibm's linux support more then just hot air?
> Will I be able to do the funky things like hibernation and
> stuff under them? And so on... basically, is there anything
> icky about trying to run linux under these suckers that'd
> make one preferable over the other.

There is a utility called tpctl (thinkpad control) in Debian.  It requires
you to compile the kernel modules from tpctl-modules-source and install the
resulting tpctl-modules.  It works differently on various thinkpads
(supports different features or not).  You must make /dev/thinkpad, and the
program uses that. You can set stuff like what happens when the lid
closes/opens, which mouse to use (internal/external), what to do in case of
fire, etc.  It has ntpctl, an ncurses front end.

It mentions hibernation, but I am ignorant on this subject.

> I welcome any URLs that ppl may have that'd help. I currently
> have a wee collection of:
>
> Certification - IBM ThinkPad 390X
> http://www.linuxcare.com/labs/certs/pad390x.epl
>
> Linux on a ThinkPad 755C
> http://www.wam.umd.edu/~renomero/linux-tp
>
> Linux on Laptops
> http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

Yes, those are good.  If I ever get around to it, I will write another
tp760el page for the archives.

> Are there any others that'd be helpful? Anyone have any personal
> experiences they wanna send me? (privately or otherwise)
>
> Basically, these suckers are expensive and I don't wanna make
> a fubar.

I hear ya'.  Mine is factory refurb and slow and it still cost be a pretty
sum.

--
Pat Mahoney	<patmahoney@gmx.net>

"We waste so many moments standing on convention"
                -- Nick Hexum