Re: Acer Travelmate 512T (was: LinModems)

I've had an Acer 500T since March '99, of course I would not buy it
again just for it has the Lucent thingy inside and for I have been
waiting for such a looong time before the binary driver was released
and for it's quite annoying that it is binary only (*) and that they
are not upgrading it. (Actually as you may read [much] below, I won't
buy anything more with any Lucent stuff inside.)

But I drop this message just to say that the Acer CD coming with this
500T

 ----> is not but a recovery CD, it also contains the whole
       installable system you also find on a "normal" win98 CD,
       it just misses an appropriate startup (not the
       Acer-stuck-to-the-braindead-wipe-the-hole-disk-recovery-utility one),
       which is provided by any standard win98 startup floppy (of course
       with the option of loading the CD-ROM driver).

 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
(Skip all what follows if in a hurry, I talked _a_lot_. But win-also
users may want to almost read the "footprint" and wonder wheather it's
really the case of getting connected to the Internet with win, or
almost decide to keep personal docs [mail, projects, important work
being done] on a Linux partition [or if really working on win stuff,
on a second fat32 partition which can be temporarily toggled as Linux
native with fdisk before booting to win and connecting to the
Internet, Linux will still see and mount the partition as a fat32 one,
windog will not recognize it, so it's more likely hidden and
protected, unless kind of a win-dd can be run...?]. Err... somewhere
below there's also the way I use(d) to prepare my own recovery file,
look for "bzip2".)

I had complained with the Acer vendors more than once (I'm in Paris,
France), they knew nothing about it and couldn't answer but "you're
right" when I told them how frustrating I found to have a braindead
wipe-the-whole-disk recovery utility after paying for a windog98
license.

I used to keep a recovery file of my own, I used to remove the Sleep
Manager file and shut down Sleep Manager, run win's defrag, boot Linux
and mount the win partition, clean the free space dd'ing zeroes on a
file up to running out of disk space, delete the file, umount and dd
the whole partition to bzip2, and so keep a recovery file of my own:
in case of win-problems (downgrades included) I didn't really want to
re-cfdisk...

_But_ the first and only moment where I had to kill the recovery file
(I don't have a cdburner yet) was also the moment when I had a
win-disaster which win-ruined the win partition. So in order to
reinstall it I had to finish win-ruining the disk and wipe away Linux
too?

Naaaaah... I got <coff> another not-Acer win98 CD+floppy, but just told
to myself before using it "wait, let's give a look"... et voila`, see