Applixware 4.41 on potato?

I just upgraded from slink to potato, and now I can't run Applixware any
more. axmain segfaults on startup. I already filed a report with the
Applixware support site (smartbeak.com) but I thought I would check here
to see if anyone else has encountered (and possibly found a workaround
for) this problem.  I checked the smartbeak archives, and the only
reference I could find to this exact problem got the response that
"potato is unstable and we can't support it". Of course I pointed out to
them that this is no longer the case; I expect they'll now come back and
say "4.41 is an old version, you have to pay us more money to upgrade"
but we'll see.

--Greg

P.S. I am running a 2.2.17 kernel if that matters, but what I've seen
suggests that it's the libc version that is the problem.