Re: Good window manager for laptop

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 02:16:43PM -0400, Harry Henry Gebel wrote:
> I have a Pentium 90 laptop with 16MB of memory running Mandrake Linux and
> XFCE. I am planning on putting Debian on this laptop, and since I don't
> have any permanent data stored on it I will just completely erase the hard
> drive and start from scratch. With XFCE I get alot of swapping to disk
> running X, so as long as I'm starting from scratch I was wondering if
> anyone can recommend a really lean window manager. I realize that with 16MB
> I'm going to end up using swap no matter what, but I figure the less the
> better.

Well, as people have mentioned, Blackbox is a good balance between
features and memory footprint.  If all you want is window management
(i.e. no virtual desktops or extensive customization options), wm2 or even
(if you can stand it) lwm would be an excellent choice.

--
phil_g@pobox.com / DNRC / UMBC-LUG: http://linux.umbc.edu
PGP public key fingerprint:  0A7D B3AD 2D10 1099  7649 AB64 04C2 05A6