Re: Good window manager for laptop

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Harry Henry Gebel wrote:

> I have a Pentium 90 laptop with 16MB of memory running Mandrake Linux and
> XFCE. I am planning on putting Debian on this laptop, and since I don't
> have any permanent data stored on it I will just completely erase the hard
> drive and start from scratch. With XFCE I get alot of swapping to disk
> running X, so as long as I'm starting from scratch I was wondering if
> anyone can recommend a really lean window manager. I realize that with 16MB
> I'm going to end up using swap no matter what, but I figure the less the
> better.

I would also recommend blackbox.  However I think another one worth
looking at is UDE (http://udeproject.sourceforge.net/), it only uses the
XLib library so it is *very* fast and small.

Its very small at the moment and debian now does packages for it :)

you need to do 'apt-get install ude uwm' to install it.  The main thing I
like about it is that there are *no* title bars with minimize icons
,etc.  How do you do stuff?  Well you click on the border and up pops up a
small hexagonal icon thingy.  Its different, I love it, *fast*, *small*,
hell I couldn't ask for anything more.

Alex