Compaq Presario drive replacement?

I'm looking to upgrade a Presarion 1260 4 GB HD to something more
substantial.  I haven't mucked with notebook hardware.  Pricewatch
(http://www.pricewatch.com/) gives a range of $160 - $300+ for 8+ GB
drives.  There's also the minor little issue of transferring current
content from the existing drive.

What am I looking for for compatible HW, contemporary sizes, and
pricing?  Meatspace vendors in Silicon Valley appreciated.

There's an interesting link to a Kingston product, "StrataDrive", which
does a PCMCIA transfer from old to new drive (MS Win support only).
Anyone used this or know approximate pricing?