Re: Video modes on Gateway laptop

There are those who would have you believe that Pontus Ullgren wrote:
> Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 10:00:45 +0100
> From: Pontus Ullgren <pontus.ullgren@tjohoo.se>
> To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Video modes on Gateway laptop
>
> > I have a Gateway Solo 9300 laptop with an ATI
> > Rage Mobility chipset.
> I have a Dell Inspiron whith the same gfx-chipset.
> I found this page very helpfull.
> http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/
>
> Virtually Yours
> Pontus Ullgren
> ____________________________________
> Gratis epost med TJOHOO
> http://www.tjohoo.se

I took a look at this site.  His modified X server does the same thing
that the stock Mach 64 one does.  He mentioned using the SVGA server,
which Heather also suggested.  I tried that and it does work as far as
changing video modes goes, but it's very slow (btw, this has triggered
the right neurons to cause me to remember that this was how I did it
with Redhat) and with no hardware GL support, q3a can be measured in
seconds per frame.

What about the Xig Accelerated X server?  Has anybody tried this?  Is
it worth the money?  Is it true that it does not support DGA (I looked
around their website, but could find nothing to either confirm or
refute this claim)?