Re: Video modes on Gateway laptop

> I have a Gateway Solo 9300 laptop with an ATI Rage Mobility chipset.
> In X 3.3.6 with the XF86_Mach64 server I can only get the laptop to run
> at 1024x768 (which is the size of the display panel).  If I try
> 800x600, I get a black screen and the console locks up; at 640x480 I
> get a white screen and a locked console.  There are valid modelines
> for these resolutions, and I've tried commenting and uncommenting
> modelines in XF86Config in case I was trying to use one that X
> incorrectly thought was valid.  The display does go into these modes,
> but it just doesn't work once it's there.

I've used this chipset and experienced the same with 3.3.6 Mach64 server.
The SVGA server works at more pixel resolutions, but to make it work you
definitely have to edit
	Chipset "ati"

...into your declaration for the card, otherwise you get evil 320x200 mode.
Yuck.

ANd, the SVGA server is not accelerating for you, which may affect the
studliness of some apps.

-* Heather * star@ many places...