Video modes on Gateway laptop

I have a Gateway Solo 9300 laptop with an ATI Rage Mobility chipset.
In X 3.3.6 with the XF86_Mach64 server I can only get the laptop to run
at 1024x768 (which is the size of the display panel).  If I try
800x600, I get a black screen and the console locks up; at 640x480 I
get a white screen and a locked console.  There are valid modelines
for these resolutions, and I've tried commenting and uncommenting
modelines in XF86Config in case I was trying to use one that X
incorrectly thought was valid.  The display does go into these modes,
but it just doesn't work once it's there.

I used to have Redhat 6.2 with X 3.3.6 and this all worked, so I know
that this version of X is capable of doing what I want it to do.

With X 4.0.1, all of these modes work as they should.

Unfortunately, the X 4.0.1 ATI driver doesn't seem to support DGA on
my laptop, and it's important that I be able to use VMWare on that
system.  VMWare in a window is way too slow for any serious use, so
I'm stuck with 3.3.6 for now. (Ok, the real reason is the 4.0.1 ATI GL
support is too slow for q3a :).

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?  Any ideas about what I
can do to fix it?