Only 8Mb/s with a 10/100 card

I have a DLINK 10/100 PCMCIA card (DFE-650TX) in my laptop (I installed
the last version of PCMCIA package: 3.1.20) and a Realtek 8139 PCI
10/100 card in my desktop. The adapters are linked by a crossover cable
with RJ-45 plugs.
DFE-650TX is setted up to autonegociation (it is the only one option;
when I try ifport eth0 100baseT, a error message is displayed) and I can
set up the link mode at Realtek 8139 with mii-diag program.
I got only 8 Mbits/s at a ftp test by copying a 14Mbytes archive.
Does anyone have suggestions???

Thanks!

Carlos Menezes.