troubles with gtk-config and apt recognition of PCMCIA cdrom

Hello,
I'm using 2.2.17 with Potato very recently installed on a NEC P/75 Versa. In trying to configure the program Ggradebook 0.91(http://Ggradebook.sourceforge.net/) I get a response that the gtk-config file is not present and the libraries and headers are also not present. I first tried updating to glib1.2.8 and gtk1.2.8 from deb packages, but that yielded the same responses. Now, when I tried to compile glib1.2.8 and gtk1.2.8 from tarballs, glib was successful and installed a glib-config file, while gtk exited on ./configure after not locating my X libraries or include files. What can I do to get gtk to compile, in order to get the gtk-config file, which in turn is ultimately needed to compile Ggradebook 0.91?

Additionally, by my own fault messing around, my dselect setup for apt no longer recognizes that I have a cdrom by PCMCIA connection, even when the rest of the system recognizes it as mounted. What instructions can I enter to restablish the apt cdrom recognition (only finds URL, ftp, and file)?

Thanks for you time,
Jeffrey Brownson