Re: 2.2.15 kernel boot freezes at "running ntpdate..."

I wrote:

> I wrote:
>
> > My friend has a Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop.  We are having problems with
> > the 2.2.15 kernel.  It boots fine with the 2.0.36 kernel, but recent
> > attempts to boot the 2.2.15 kernel have it freezing at the line
> >
> > 	"running ntpdate to syncronise clock""
> >
> > or something like that.  Now I suspect the problem has nothing to do with
> > ntpdate.
>
> I was wrong.  The problem was ntpdate.  It was trying to poll the internet
> while not connected to it.

The thing which is puzzling me is: why did the 2.0.36 boot fine and
successfully get past ntpdate?  You see, that is why I initially
didn't believe the problem was with ntpdate.  If the problem was that
it was trying to poll the net while not connected to it, then this
problem would have been the same for both kernels.

The only thing I can think of is that with the older kernel, pcmcia
stuff is broken, which means perhaps the networking stuff would behave
slightly differently?  It's a bit of a vague explanation --- anyone
got some clearer ideas?

Cheers,

Mark.

P.S. It's not urgent as now the new kernel boots, but I'm just
curious.