Re: Problems with pcmcia on potato (on Dell Latitude)

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 08:08:27PM -0800, Eric House wrote:
> First, a bit more information.  The error message I'm getting from the
> installer is that it can't find /lib/modules/2.2.13.  And sure enough,
> if I fire up a second VC and look there's no directory by that name.
> There *is* a /target/lib/modules/2.2.13, and I managed to make a bit
> more progress by creating a symlink for the missing directory.  But
> the fact that the installer is looking for files that don't exist
> suggests that something pretty basic is wrong.

I can see your frustration.  It looks as though you're stuck half-way
through the installation.  /lib/modules *is* the correct place for the
kernel modules.  I think you should only get a /target directory during the
initial installation procedure.  But I can't say anything more about it than
that.

How are you accessing the net from your machine?  You said you already
downloaded everything, so how did you get those files to your machine?
Can you get everything on to a local hard drive or cdrom ready for
installation?

Another point about slink, I think you should be able to grab the latest
pcmcia-cs source from frozen, so that you have a version which supports your
card, and compile it for slink.  I believe pcmcia should be "backwards
compatible" for the 2.0 kernel, it's an independent component after all.
Could you try that, getting a working pcmcia system under slink, then
carry on the upgrade to potato (or stay with slink, with the updated pcmcia
version)?  You can find the instructions on how to compile the modules inside
/usr/doc/pcmcia-cs.

BTW I could be wrong, but I think in Redhat you can run linuxconf to set the
system configuration without so many of the pretty pictures.

Good luck!

Drew